1918 court: Cook’s fingers burnt stealing from kitchen

editorial image

At the Scarborough Police Court before Mr J Dippie (in the chair), Alderman Pirie, and Mr AW Sinclair.

Catherine Ridley, cook, 9, Friar’s Entry, was charged with stealing a blanket, kettle, cinder grate, tidy, cups and saucers, and other articles valued together at £5, the property of Mrs Emily Tucker, between April 17th and May 8th.

The prisoner admitted the theft of certain articles, but said others were her own property.

Eventually she was charged with stealing property valued at £4, 
and to this she pleaded guilty.

The Chief Constable said Mrs Tucker lived at 40, Filey Road, and prior to that she resided at 82, Filey Road.

On the 17th of April last the prisoner was in Mrs Tucker’s employ at 82, Filey Road, and she was in her employ during the process of removal from one house to the other.

During the removal there would be great opportunities for things to disappear, and several things had disappeared from the kitchen part of the house.

The prisoner left on the 7th of May, and almost immediately afterwards a blanket was missed.

On the 9th of May, Mrs Tucker, at the request of Sergeant Yeoman, went to the police office and identified certain articles as her property.

It was ascertained by Sergeant Yeoman that prisoner had been staying in Friar’s Entry and most of the goods were found there.

He could not find the blanket for some time but eventually he found it on a bed.

Prisoner strenuously denied having any blanket belonging to Mrs Tucker.

Prisoner, in a statement to the court, said she thought some of the things she took were done 
with. She was not very well paid and did not resist to taking a few things 
which would be of 
use to her further in setting up house.

Prisoner was further charged with stealing a wash-leather, value 3s, the property of Charlotte Walker, between March 20th and April 1st to which she pleaded not guilty.

Detective-Sergeant Yeoman gave evidence and said prisoner, in reply to the charge, said:

“I bought and paid for it. It is mine.”

Asked if she wished to get any witnesses to corroborate her statement, prisoner said:

“No, I don’t know where I bought it.”

Prisoner, giving evidence, said the 
wash-leather had been in her possession some 

On the ground that there was no corroborative evidence, the second charge was 

The Chief Constable said prisoner had been in Scarborough about eight weeks.

She had some letters on her, which were in the nature of testimonials from Leeds, Killinghall, and York, all giving her a good character.

Prisoner, in reply to the magistrates, said she came to Scarborough from 

Just before the war she had a lodging-house at Filey, and Mr Gofton sold most of her furniture.

She was known to the vicar of Filey.

The magistrates imposed a fine of £1 in the first case.