Domestic servant stole from employer

editorial image
Share this article

1914 Police Court

At the Borough Police Court today before Mr WS Rowntree, presiding, and Mr J Hall, Agnes Goodall (42), no fixed address, Leeds, was charged on remand with having stolen one blouse, one jersey, and two toothbrushes, value £1 9s, the property of Wm Grierson, 78, Castle Road, between the 3rd and 7th August.

She pleaded drink as the cause.

Prosecutor said that on July 24th prisoner entered his employ as a domestic servant.

The articles mentioned in the charge were in his possession on the 3rd August, and they were missed the following day.

Prisoner was asked if she had seen the blouse by Mrs Grierson, and she replied, “I have not seen the blouse at all.” On the 5th August she left of her own accord. She had no right to take the blouse and jersey, which were amongst the articles for washing.

In reply to the Chairman, prisoner said she was engaged at 2s a day. She added that she had not been paid on Wednesday, as she should have been.

It was stated, however, that prosecutor gave Mrs Grierson 4s to pay prisoner the next day.

Prisoner: If it was not for his wife, I should not be here.

Tom I’Anson, pawnbroker, 59, St Thomas Street, gave evidence as to prisoner coming to his shop on Monday, August 3rd, and pawning the articles, which she said were her own, for 1s.

PC Taylor said when he asked prisoner, on Friday night, what she had done with the blouse, she replied, “I know nothing about the blouse.” At that time, witness had not found the property, and he conveyed her to Miss West’s.

She was the worst for drink.

Witness searched her, and found in her possession of two toothbrushes (produced) and a pawn ticket in her purse. She was again cautioned and charged, and replied, “I didn’t intend stealing them.”

Prisoner added that her husband had been a soldier, and she had left him a month ago. They had lived in Leeds.

The Chief Constable said she had told the police a very different story.

Prisoner was sent to the Quarter Sessions, bail being allowed in her own surety of £10 and two others of £5.

Today at the Scarborough 
Police Court, Hezekiah Johnson (18), miller, 64, William Street, was charged with having been drunk and disorderly in Castle Road on September 19. He was also charged with assaulting PC Harben at the same time.

He admitted both offences.

PC Pill said the man was very drunk, and when he was arrested he became very violent, and kicked PC Harben.

Defendant said that he only had one “smiler” and he was not drunk.

The Chairman: Then you should have pleaded not guilty.

PC Harben said defendant tripped him up, and then kicked him stating: “There goes number one.”

Taking into account defendant’s youth, and that it was the first time he had been before the court, he was fined 5s, or seven days, in each case, the Chairman (Mr WS Rowntree) stating that if he went there again he would be severely dealt with.

Harold Jones (23) painter, Blacken Hall, Wolverhampton, was charged with having assaulted PC Philpott, whilst in the execution of his duty in Castle Road on September 19th. The offence was denied.

PC Philpott said that he was in his house at 11.10 on Saturday night when he heard a police whistle. He ran out, saw a large crowd, and defendant had hold of a policeman. Witness tried to pull him off, and he asked who plaintiff was. Witness replied: I am a police officer. Defendant backed against witness, and tried to throw him. Other “pals” of defendant tried to pull him off, and they did do, but a woman shouted, and eventually defendant was got into the police station.

Replying to the Chairman the Chief Constable said that the other officer was engaged with the previous defendant. It all arose out of the previous case.

PC Philpott said there was a hostile crowd and it was disgraceful for the time being.

Defendant, in the box, said he and two other friends from Wolverhampton had joined Kitchener’s Army. He drew 7s on Saturday after a fortnight, and he went into a fish shop, and a man was creating a disturbance. He caught hold of him to put him out, and that was how he got mixed up in the crowd.

The Chairman said that he seemed a decent young man, and he should try to avoid such rows. It was a serious thing to assault the police, although PC Philpott was not in uniform at the time, and he might not have known. He would pay 10s.

Defendant said that he had no money.

The Chairman said that the military authorities might grant him the money, and the matter was left in the hands of the Chief Constable.