Hackney carriage driver flouts bye-law

editorial image

1913 Police Court

At the Scarborough Police Court today, before Mr J Hall (presiding), Mr TH Good, and Mr SP Turnbull, Albert Dove, of 3, Mile End Cottages, Falsgrave Road, was summoned for conveying a greater number of persons in a hackney carriage than it was licensed for.

The defendant pleaded not guilty.

PC Moore said that on the 15th of August he was on duty in Scalby Road when he saw the carriage, which contained four adults and four children.

The Chief Constable stated that the four children counted as two adults, so that the defendant was summoned for having carried one person more than the licence allowed.

Mr Claude Royle, who appeared for defendant, said that to show that he (the defendant) honestly thought that there was nothing in this offence he came to the police station in order to allow the Chief Constable to have a look at the passengers.

Mr Royle continued that, as he had previously pointed out in a similar case before their worships, that the bye-law on which the charge was based did not obtain in every town.

It was that bye-law which they had again to face that morning, and he appealed to their worship most earnestly on behalf of the cabmen in Scarborough to see that this bye-law was not made a burden. If there had been five big, fat women in a carriage with as much luggage as they wished to carry, nothing would have been said by the police.

The Chief Constable remarked that he did not suggest that this was a serious case, but there was a bye-law, and every bye-law had its limits.

Defendant had appeared at that Court previously.

The magistrates imposed a fine of 7s 6d, including costs.

Also at the police court today, Harry Coates, 8, Lower Albion Street; and Walter Cawood, 41, Commercial Street, were summoned for similar offences.

In the case of Cawood defendant pleaded not guilty. PC Moore gave evidence as to seeing defendant driving a carriage containing six persons along the South Foreshore Road on the 17th inst.

Mr Royle pointed out to the bench that defendant lost his fare after the journey, for when the constable spoke to defendant the party got out of the carriage.

He, therefore, thought that that was enough punishment for defendant.

Cawood was ordered to pay the costs of the case.