Man was in arrears with maintenance pay

editorial image

1914 court

At the Scarborough Police Court, before the Mayor (Mr AM Daniel), Alderman Rowntree, Councillor Hopwood, and Mr AJ Tugwell, Charles Ward (29), described as a cartman, 3, Swan Hill Road, was charged on remand with being in arrears with his maintenance order to the extent of £3 14s.

An order had been made against Ward some weeks ago, and he had paid nothing.

The case had been adjourned from the previous day in order that Ward might make an offer. Ward had been working at Lowestoft.

The Clerk: Do you suffer from rheumatism? You had better tell the Bench.

Ward: I am full of cold now.

He offered £1 down and 10s a week when he got back to his work at Lowestoft. He could have paid the whole amount if his wife had let him alone – he was getting 30s a week.

The Chief Constable said that Ward could pay the whole of the money if he was agreeable. It was only his obstinacy which prevented the money being paid. Ward had been in communication with his friends, and he knew, from conversation which had taken place, that he could pay the money. He, however, defied the order, he did not wish to pay. He (the Chief) thought the magistrates should take into consideration the fact that Ward had gone away to Lowestoft, and bringing him back had meant the absence of a police officer from the borough for two days, and police expenses to the amount of £3 2s 7d.

Ward said that he could only pay £1. He could not contradict the Chief Constable, but he did not know where he had got the information.

The Chief Constable said that Ward’s father would 
advance him the money on certain conditions.

The mother of Ward, who was in court, said that was not so.

Ward said that he told his wife before he went away that he would send her the money – she could not deny it.

The wife: I do deny it.

Ward: Oh you will deny anything. You want to feel what I feel.

The wife: You tell nothing but lies.

The magistrates intimated to Ward that he would have to pay £2 down, or go to prison.

Ward asked how long the term would be. The Clerk: The magistrates will fix that after.

Ward: I wish I was dead, never mind being in gaol.

The Mayor suggested that Ward should discuss the matter with his mother. The mother then left the court with a view, it was said by Ward, to try and get the money.

Eventually, before the mother returned the magistrates told Ward he would have to pay £2 that day, and 12s per week until the amount owing was paid off. If he did not do this he would have to go to prison for a month.

Ward: What about the five days I have lost?

The Chief Constable said that Ward was arrested on Saturday – it was entirely his own fault.

The magistrates said they would take that into consideration, and if the money was not paid he would have to go to prison for 26 days – that meant a month including the five days he had been detained. If the money was not paid they recommended the wife to go to the Court again.

Subsequently a brother of Ward entered the Court with the money, and Ward, 
re-called, was told of the fact, and advised to pay the 12s a week, and not let the matter occur again.

Ward: I don’t think it will occur for long – the position I feel.