Children gather for the photographer outside Allerston village school.
The Public Elementary School and schoolmaster’s house was built by public subscription in 1874, however, there had been a school of some sort which was erected in 1839. The school was closed in 1945 when the children were transferred to Thornton-le-Dale.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
For reprints telephone 0330 1230203 and quote YRN-180405-142238050.