Between 1885 and 1895, ten acres of cliffside were drained, terraced and converted into lawns and flower beds.
Top left is Holbeck Hall which met its demise in a dramatic landslide in June 1993.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-180625-122640050.