Beadle's brace seals the treble for Pier

Jimmy Beadle celebrates his first goal for Pier with Tommy Barker
Jimmy Beadle celebrates his first goal for Pier with Tommy Barker

Jimmy Beadle bagged a brace of screamers as West Pier wrapped up an impressive treble on Wednesday night.

Andy Spivey's men held firm during a number of sticky spells to shake off Edgehill by a 3-0 scoreline and lift the Scarborough & District Cup at Pickering Town's Mill Lane.

Pier's Martin Cooper flies in on Edgehill man Joe Gallagher

Pier's Martin Cooper flies in on Edgehill man Joe Gallagher

The District Cup will slot into a now bulging trophy cabinet alongside the Division One shield and the League Cup.

Though on another night Edgehill could well have run away with it, but they just lacked the cutting edge and composure in the final third.

That was at trait that grew into Pier's game during the second half, as they punished their rivals at will in the closing stages of the final.

The game trudged away to a sluggish start, before Beadle's explosive effort from distance almost brought it to life.

His strike seemed destined for the back of the Edgehill net, but a magnificent one-handed stop from Martin Cappleman tipped it to safety.

Edgehill soon took hold of the proceedings, but in truth they failed to really trouble the Pier back-line.

Luke Jones saw his free-kick whistle over the Pier bar and then, with 10 minutes of the half remaining, Steve Clegg's outfit finally worked a great opportunity to shatter the deadlock.

Jones danced clear on the left and picked out Danny Collins in the middle. He failed to get a good contact on his shot and Niall Gibb swept in the clear it off the line.

Edgehill continued to have the better of the possession statistics in the second half as well, though the pace of Pier's Jamie Bradshaw looked to be a threat on the counter.

Pier keeper Neil Thomas made a couple of smart saves and Jones smashed just over the bar as Edgehill began to turn the screw.

But all their efforts were undone on the hour when a swift, incisive break gave Pier the lead.

Bradshaw had been waiting with bated breath on the half-way line and he streaked clear onto a long ball to pick out the bottom corner of Cappleman's goal.

Edgehill didn't fold after this, with the lively Jones skidding a low drive just past the post.

Then sub Liam Cooper skipped away from the Pier defence, but, having rounded Neil Thomas, his shot was hacked off the line by Shaun Dodson.

In the end it was Pier who demonstrated that clinical edge and it came to the fore in the final 10 minutes.

Firstly Beadle collected the ball 20 yards from goal and he sweetly guided it home with his left boot.

Then, just minutes later, the former Boro man charged onto a ball inside the penalty area and he crashed it beyond a stranded Cappleman with his right.

This late double was enough to kill the game as a spectacle, as Pier cruised through the final moments and lifted the cup.