Bird's nest believed to have caught fire in eaves of house in Ryedale

Firefighters were called out to a village in Ryedale yesterday when a fire began in the eaves of a house.

Thursday, 31st August 2017, 2:04 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:13 pm

Crews from Malton were sent to Dam Lane in Leavening shortly after 5.45pm when smoke was seen coming from underneath the eaves of the property.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They used a triple extension ladder to reach the fire, before using a dry powder extinguisher to put out the flames.

A North Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: "This was believed to be caused by a bird's nest setting alight due to it resting on electrical cables attached to the house."