THE changing landscape and features of two picturesque Scarborough villages have been chronicled in a new book.
Newby and Scalby Through Time, written by Robin Lidster, charts the growth of the villages from the introduction of the Scarborough and Whitby Railway in 1885 to the present day.
The book includes a swathe of photographs of popular landmarks and focal points, detailing their evolution to the present day, including The Rosette Inn, which, along with Prospect Farm was once the only building on the west side of Scalby Road.
The photographic trip back down memory lane also features the changes to Coldyhill Lane corner, in Scalby Road, highlighting J H Northrop’s tea and refreshment rooms - known as The Bungalow - which later became a ladies’ dress shop before changing to its current guise of the Corner House Tearoom.
Newby’s former Post Office, in Scalby Road, is also featured, with a historical look at how the building was taken over by the Proudfoot Group as part of its new supermarket, along with M J Hudson’s corner shop, in Green Lane, which was subsequently converted into a house.
Author Robin Lidster said: “The opinion of most historical and travel writers in the 18th and 19th centuries was that Scalby was a place of great antiquity and a pretty village.
“One guide book even went so far to say that it was in its general appearance more inviting than many other villages of the county.
“The heart of Scalby village still remains, visually, much as it was about 100 years ago, but over the last few years it has seen considerable residential developments.
“It is largely due to the efforts of the Scalby Village Trust that the villages of Newby and Scalby still retain their separate identities by the maintenance of Scalby Beck and The Cut.”
The book also looks at the closure of Scalby Station in 1953, recalling how the stationmaster’s house was used as a camping cottage.
The Scalby Mills area is also included focusing on the time in 1921 when a decommissioned First World War Royal Navy G class submarine ran aground.
l Mr Lidster will be signing copies of the book at the Antique and Collectors’ Centre, in St Nicholas Cliff, on Saturday.
The session will take place between 2pm to 4pm and everyone is welcome.