Boro denied three points as Kendal weather the storm

Boro news
Boro news

Scarborough Athletic were left frustrated on Saturday afternoon, leaving Kendal Town with just a solitary point from their Evo-Stik North clash.

Steve Kittrick's men twice led in ridiculous conditions brought on by Storm Brian, but Kendal somehow managed to scrap their way to a 2-2 draw.

The sodden pitch and the gusting wind served as a huge leveller, as Boro would have probably gone home with three points on an August afternoon.

It looked positive in the early stages, with the wind at their backs Boro forced Kendal back into their own half.

They could have moved ahead in the very first minute when Michael Coulson's corner picked out Sam Hewitt, but the central defender drilled just past the post.

Home keeper Will Kitchen then had to dart from his line on two occasions to pluck the ball off the toe of both Nathan Valentine and Coulson.

Kendal produced the occasions foray into the Boro half, but keeper Tommy Taylor was rarely tested.

Nathan Curtis then beat Kitchen to the ball and dinked across the six-yard box. A defender reached it just before Max Wright, and after a fortunate ricochet for the home team, the ball bounced to safety.

So it was not against the run of play when Boro took the lead on the half-hour.

Coulson's set-pieces had been leaving Kendal quaking all afternoon, and he whipped in a corner that was flicked home at the near post by defender Danny Stimpson.

Boro had two further great chances to add to their cushion in the build-up to the half-time whistle.

Nathan Valentine stretched, but just failed to get a head on a ball into the box that just needed that vital touch.

Then right on half-time, Stimpson should have completed a brace of goals, finding his way onto another cross into the box, but diverting it wide from close range.

Having dominated the opening half of football, Boro completely shut down at the beginning of the second period.

It took all of 12 seconds for Anthony Lynch to roll into an open net after Boro evaporated down the right-hand side.

Kendal were unlucky not to grab the lead when winger Connor Gaul drilled just wide of the target in the seconds that followed.

Jack Johnson was then withdrawn for Dan Thirkell, minutes before two great openings for Boro's Curtis, who twice failed to control the ball in good areas.

That was Curtis' last act as he was withdrawn for Billy Logan, Jimmy Beadle returning from a long lay-off in place of Charlie Binns.

Logan's first touch was to put Beadle through on goal and his first touch of the game was brilliantly saved by the legs of Kitchen.

Beadle got it right soon after as he managed to get a toe onto Max Wright's cross to make it 2-1 to Boro.

Logan was denied by another fine Kitchen stop, before, at the other end of the pitch, Charlie Bowman planted a free header over the bar.

Boro looked set to wrap up the points with 10 minutes remaining when Coulson's sweet drive shuddered the bar, the rebound falling to the feet of Ross Daly.

The midfielder was clearly tripped in the box, but referee Michael Answorth bafflingly said no. Instead he allowed play to continue and Kendal took full advantage.

They broke quickly down the right at sub Ricky Seear once again restored parity, much to the frustration of the Boro fans, players and bench.

With Storm Brian swirling around the ground, Boro whipped up a maelstrom of their own as they went in search of the winner.

Coulson's shot was superbly tipped away by Kitchen, then, with seconds left on the clock, Dave Merris sent a scorching drive inches wide of post and upright.

The whistle was blown soon after on a game that Boro dominated, but left with a share of the spoils.