Boro finish pre-season with derby draw

Boro news
Boro news

Scarborough Athletic completed their pre-season campaign with a 1-1 derby-day draw at Whitby Town.

After a woeful start to the game, Steve Kittrick's men levelled in the closing stages against a Blues side from the division above.

Boro made the slowest of beginnings to the fixture and this hit them very early on.

A sharp looking Whitby side soon took advantage, and after a incisive move into the box, last season's top scorer Mikey Roberts finished well.

Boro may have been affected by the number of alterations as they continued to prepare for the new season, and the fact that they were missing Paul Robson, Hassan Keita, Craig Nelthorpe and Adam Bolder didn't help.

These lapses continued, before the visitors finally started to offer something towards the end of the half.

Benny Igiehon had their first opportunity after 15 minutes when his low shot was tipped away by Shane Bland, but within seconds Whitby should have doubled their lead.

Cameron Park was sent streaking clear, his lob sailed over the top of a stranded Jordan Porter, but wide of the goal.

The afternoon of Callum Robinson was concluded after this, he was replaced by Jamie Forrester, who had spent much of pre-season at National League side North Ferriby.

Forrester had Boro's best chance of the first half, firing a stinging strike at goal, that was brilliantly pushed clear by Bland.

That followed on from good defensive work from Lisles, who managed to head off the line after Robert's lifted effort had beaten Porter.

After finishing the half brightly, Boro made another slow start when the new half got underway.

Roberts wriggled free with just seconds on the clock, but his shot was charged down by Lisles.

Danny McWilliams then found some space on the left of the Boro box, but his low drive was pushed clear by Porter.

The usual flurry of pre-season substitutions followed after this, meaning that the game needed a good period of time to bed in once again.

This mid-match confusion was broken when Forrester grabbed a yard and whipped a shot that skimmed just wide of Bland's upright.

Then at the other end, Roberts cut through the right of the Boro defence, but his effort clipped the outside of the post.

Having arrived on the pitch just a few minutes earlier, David Brown and Callum Terrell teamed up to conjure a levelling goal after 72 minutes.

Brown danced through on the right, beat the keeper and then rolled into the path of Terrell, who made no mistake from close range.

Boro continued to finish the game well, taking control of their final pre-season outing before the Evo-Stik North opener at home to Bamber Bridge.

The threat of Brown picked out Forrester at the far post, but his shot was blocked by Kieran Weledji.

Then Liam Ormsby, after coming back on for the injured Bloor, saw a header cleared off the line by former Scarborough FC defender Mark Robinson.