Boro hang on at nine-man Ossett

Boro report
Boro report

Scarborough Athletic bagged all three points at nine-man Ossett Albion on Tuesday night, though they only scraped a 1-0 win.

Carl Stewart's third in two games edged Boro ahead, but they failed to pull further clear and almost allowed Ossett back into the game in the dying moments.

Boro made the one alteration from Saturday's win against Hyde, Matty Bloor dropped in at centre-back in the place of a struggling Jamie Price, with Chris Bolder slotting into the midfield.

Despite the pace of the play in the early stages there was little action.

It was former Scarborough FC man Daz Thornton, in the yellow of Ossett, who had the first opening. The wide man bending a free-kick just over keeper Jordan Porter's bar.

There was no improvement as the half progressed, with neither side demonstrating any really quality, especially in the final third.

It took Boro until the latter seconds of the half to create their better chances, both falling to young attacker Jordan Harrison.

He firstly flicked a header just past the Ossett post and then, in the final seconds, his low drive was palmed away by Jordan Bradshaw.

Things soon burst into action when the second half began.

Boro nearly gave away the opening goal when Bloor and Porter got into a tangle, Nick Mitchell nipped in, but failed to take advantage.

Then the hosts were reduced to 10 men when Adam Muller was given a second yellow card after an angry chat with the referee.

Boro began to control play after this, with much of it going through Adam Bolder.

The former Derby man was unlucky not to break the deadlock when his sweetly-struck free-kick was tipped onto the bar by Bradshaw.

It was his pin-point ball into the box soon after that handed Boro the advantage.

The pass picked out Carl Stewart, who beat the keeper to the ball and flicked into an empty net.

Then it got so much worse for the hosts, as Mitchell clipped Adam Bolder in the centre of the park and received his marching orders, again for a second booking.

Boro should have strode to victory after this, but they began to stutter in the closing stages.

Porter had to push a Talent Ndlovu cross onto his own bar as the hosts went in search of a leveller.

Calming words on the pitch from assistant-manager followed, which seemed to help.

Only for a short while though, as Ossett had the perfect chance to level with five minutes left.

Benny Igiehon fouled Danny South from a set piece and the ref pointed at the spot.

Thornton stepped up, but after a stutter in his run, he blazed the ball high over the bar.

Boro managed to cling on after this, even though they had two more players on the field, and they made it six points out of six.