Boro leave it late in home victory

Boro report
Boro report

Scarborough Athletic left it late as they grabbed a 1-0 success against Colne at Queensgate on Saturday.

Adam Bolder's late penalty was enough to divide the sides and make sure that Boro bounced back from their mid-week loss at Farsley.

Steve Kittrick made one change to Boro's line-up, Scott Brown returned to the starting 11 in place of centre-back Duran Reynolds.

It took five minutes for the game to come to life, with Carl Stewart sneaking into some space in the box, but his shot was bundled just wide.

There was a further flashpoint a few minutes after this, when things turned a little ugly.

Colne's Matty Beadle and Boro's Chris Bolder had a fall-out in the middle of the park. Both were booked after plenty of procrastination by referee Mr Gillespie, while Jamie Price was also carded for his part in the pushing and shoving.

When the action restarted, Boro man Craig Nelthorpe was unlucky not to open the scoring when he hit a delightful drive that glanced off the top of the bar.

At the other end, Colne demonstrated their attacking qualities when Jason Hart wriggled free, but fired a low effort across the face of goal.

Nelthorpe's drive was his last meaningful action, he was withdrawn 10 minutes before the break when he pulled up with a hamstring pull.

This didn't stop Boro from finishing the half on top.

Adam Bolder's low shot was comfortably saved by Tony Aghayere, then the Colne gloveman made a magnificent stop to tip away a sweet Dave Merris drive from distance.

This became a recurring theme, with Aghayere continually keeping the visiting Colne team in the game.

He was at full length to pluck Stewart's header out of the air, then he had to scramble across goal to push away a terrible back-pass from Danny Morton.

His best stop was to palm away a towering header from Benny Igiehon, which was destined for the top corner.

Boro looked to have finally beaten him with 15 minutes left on the clock, as Scott Brown skipped free on the right and delivered to the far post. Jameel Ible was waiting, but he failed to control his shot and it ballooned over from four yards.

Igiehon was the next to threaten, taking advantage of Stewart's good work, but somehow his strike was blocked on the line.

It seemed as though Colne would hold out for a share of the spoils, but with just four minutes left Michael Morrison made the key error.

He clung onto Igiehon as he charged into the box, Mr Gillespie pointed at the spot and gave the Colne man his marching orders.

Adam Bolder showed great composure to send Aghayere the wrong way the the three points were Boro's.