Boro maintain charge with Rams success

Boro report
Boro report

Scarborough Athletic continued their ascent of the Evo-Stik North table on Saturday when they won 3-2 at home against Ramsbottom United.

In a game that ebbed and flowed from end to end, Boro had enough to seal their third successive win.

Boro threw in Matty Turnbull at centre-half for his debut, while Cameron Murray, returning from a sabbatical at FC United and Stalybridge, was placed on the left of the attack.

The game burst away with an early flurry of action.

It took Ramsbottom literally seconds to take the lead, Grant Spencer bending home a wicked free-kick from the edge of the area.

Boro showed great character to hit back and level up just a minute later.

Benny Igiehon demonstrated a superb turn of speed to streak away from his man and roll into the back of the net.

The frantic pace wasn't maintained though, in fact there wasn't much more to report before the break.

Boro had the best of the remaining minutes, and they should have been ahead by the half-time oranges.

In-form striker Carl Stewart had the majority of the chances, but he was brilliantly denied from his best opening, Ashley Shenton somehow blocking from close range.

Shenton also managed to divert away an Eddy Birch strike after the midfielder had marauded onto an Adam Bolder ball.

The new half brought new hope for the hosts, as with just a handful of minutes on the clock Boro grabbed the lead.

Murray collected on the right, drifted beautifully inside and poked the ball into the bottom corner.

Boro were struck by a body blow minutes later, Adam Bolder, who had been on the wrong end of an awful Gareth Seddon challenge in the first half, was replaced by Jordan Harrison.

Things got worse soon after as Seddon's shot was parried by Jordan Porter and Ryan Salmon picked up the pieces to level up from close range.

Boro were lucky not to fall behind again after this, but fortunately Salmon's drive from inside the box was deflected up and over the bar.

Instead it was Boro who gritted their teeth and reclaimed the advantage just after the hour.

Harrison's low shot was spilled by Shenton and Stewart nipped in for his fourth goal in three games.

There was plenty of toing and froing after this, though no real threat at either end.

Seddon had a useful chance right at the death, but he lifted just wide of the target when through on goal.

That was all the visitors had to offer and Boro made it three wins out of three and nine points out of nine.