Boro up to second after Brighouse mauling

Scarborough Athletic took another step closer to promotion from the Evo-Stik North on Saturday as they cruised past Brighouse at the Flamingo Land Stadium.

Saturday, 14th April 2018, 4:56 pm
Updated Saturday, 14th April 2018, 5:01 pm
Boro report

Having held a one-goal lead at half-time, Boro reached their momentum after the break, smashing in three more to put things to bed.

With Michael Coulson floating around in a free role and Luke Dean and Chris Dawson back in the side, Boro set out to try and attack.

After a quiet opening, this paid off, with Boro taking the lead after just 13 minutes.

Max Wright lifted his cross into Coulson's path, the Boro man spun and rolled into the bottom corner, with keeper George Clarke rooted to the spot.

Brighouse could have levelled almost immediately when the mountainous James Hartley powered a header at goal, but teammate Gabriel Johnson didn't like the trajectory and he deflected it wide.

Hurtley won another free header in the box soon after this, but his effort was straight at a delighted Tommy Taylor.

Having absorbed this pressure, Boro should have added to their account on the half-hour, with Coulson picking out James Walshaw in the box. His header hit a wall of Brighouse defenders on the line and was cleared away.

Brighouse should have found themselves at least level by the break though, with the West Yorkshire side having some great chances.

Firstly, Isaac Marriot managed to flick a header wide of the target from two yards.

Then, after keeper Taylor and Josh Snowden had collided, Gabriel Johnson should have taken advantage, but Bailey Gooda managed to get back and block superbly, to keep Boro ahead.

Snowden came off much worse and he was withdrawn on a stretcher.

Taylor was forced to make a superb stop right on half-time, tipping over Thomas Haigh's long-range lob.

There was still time for Wright to wriggle onto a Dean pass, but his stabbed effort was pushed wide by the keeper.

After the frenetic climax to the opening period, things cooled a touch in the action stakes, until Boro doubled their advantage on the hour.

Tom White was tripped as he tried to unleash a shot in the box, and after referee David Jones pointed at the spot, Coulson found the net.

Wright was denied by the strong hand of Clarke in the minutes that followed. Walshaw's bid to get to the rebound was ended by a stiff challenge, but the referee wasn't keen to point at the spot for a second time.

After a couple of other scares for Brighouse, Boro made sure of the three points with a third goal of the afternoon.

Coulson turned provider with this one, delivering a delightful corner in and Walshaw rose majestically to head it into the top corner.

And, having arrived on the park just a few minutes earlier, Jorome Slew chipped in with the fourth, taking Coulson's pass and picking out the far corner.

That was enough punishment for Brighouse and with Hyde drawing against Skelmersdale, Boro stepped up a place to second in the table.