Boro see off Radcliffe

Scarborough Athletic made it two 3-1 successes in a few days on Tuesday night when they wrestled the three points from hosts Radcliffe.

Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 9:40 pm
Updated Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 9:46 pm
Boro report

Travelling Boro fell behind early on, but they battled back well to record a workmanlike win on the road in Manchester.

Boro made one alteration from the win at Goole, with Tom White taking the place of Luke Dean in the middle of midfield.

On a soft pitch, it was never going to be a classic, but after a dull opening, things soon sprung into life.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Boro fell a goal behind with 18 minutes on the clock. A swift break through the heart of the visiting defence led to Kingsley Williams sweeping home.

But, within minutes, Steve Kittrick's men were back on track.

Michael Coulson stole in at the far post and when his header was saved, Nathan Valentine swooped to force the ball into the net.

After that spike of action, the game calmed before the interval.

There were a few half chances, with Coulson and Wright both having efforts tamed by keeper Connor Keane.

Boro thought they had started the second half in the most positive of ways when James Walshaw converted a Jamie Price flick, but his effort was ruled out by the linesman's flag.

Things became a little more ragged after this, with Boro pressing and Radcliffe looking to exploit them on the counter.

After Josh Snowden saw his effort blocked on the line by the keeper, it looked as though it wasn't going to be Boro's night.

But a moment of brilliance from Coulson gave Boro the break they needed.

Walshaw played the ball into Coulson's path and Boro's top scorer lifted it delightfully over the advancing Keane and into the net.

A third followed soon after, and it came from the predatory instincts of Walshaw.

The striker reacted after Valentine had nodded down a corner, and he lashed home from close range.

Radcliffe had a small rally after this, with Sam Hewitt clearing a goalbound shot from Louis Myers and then Tommy Taylor gathered a Callum Grogan header.

But the stuffing had been knocked out by then and Boro almost added further to their total when Valentine scampered free.

The midfielder was just about to let go when the ball bobbled horribly, allowing keeper Keane to gather.

The visitors had completed their evening's work by that point though, setting off towards the east coast with yet another valuable three points.