Boro Under-16s suffer cup final penalty heartache at Queensgate

Boro under-16s
Boro under-16s

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s were denied some silverware as they suffered an agonising 4-2 penalty shoot-out defeat to Hessle Sporting Spitfires in the Hull Youth Football League KO Cup Final at Queensgate.

Both sides were cagey in the opening stages, eager not to put a foot wrong and concede the opening goal.

Boro came close through a long-range effort from James Skelton that flew just over the crossbar, while at the other end keeper Tom Cammish had to be alert to claim a high ball into the box.

Owen Wilson skewed an effort across goal and wide before Aidan Thurston burst through the middle of midfield but was unable to find the run of Reo Smith.

The game suddenly sparked into life after half-time as Boro opened the scoring.

Tom Collins was in the right place at the right time to hammer the ball into the roof of the net from close-range to give Athletic the advantage.

But the lead did not last long as Hessle got back on level terms with a looping header into the top corner.

Boro had a penalty shout as Smith went down in the box, but that was waved away by the referee.

Shortly afterwards Hessle took the lead with a flowing move into the area that finished with a driven finish giving keeper Cammish no chance to make it 2-1.

Again the lead did not last long as a ball wide out on the left was well controlled by James Skelton before he crashed a shot in at the near post from a narrow angle past a bewildered Hessle goalkeeper.

This set the game up for a frantic last 25 minutes, with Cammish producing an excellent low save after racing from his goal to deny the Hessle striker.

Boro found themselves down to 10 men as Wilson was shown a soft second yellow card, but Athletic held on to full-time at 2-2.

A period of 30 minutes extra-time followed, with Cammish again alert to deny Hessle and Boro continuing to threaten through the pace of Skelton.

Neither side could find a crucial third goal so the game went to penalties.

After Thurston and Sam Pattison had netted from the spot, misses from Collins and Skelton and four well-taken Hessle penalties meant Boro finished as runners-up after a heartbreaking 4-2 defeat from the spot.