Firm fined after finger accident

A company making health products has been fined after a worker’s finger was severed in a blending machine at its factory in Bridlington.

The employee had been using a ribbon blender to mix product ingredients unaware that a fixed guard underneath the machine had been removed along with a valve that needed a new part.

Bee Health Ltd, which manufactures health and nutrition products and owns several high profile brands, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after its investigation into the incident at Carnaby Industrial Estate in March 2010.

Bridlington Magistrates heard another worker had taken the valve off the blender to clean, but found it needed a new part so did not reattach it. While the part was on order the blender continued to be operated.

Days later, a third employee was using the blender and caught his fingers in rotating blades. The index finger of his right hand was amputated and he suffered severe cuts and nerve damage to the middle finger.

Bee Health pleaded guilty to two safety breaches and was fined a £7,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,887.