ONE of Scarborough’s favourite family firms is to expand again as it breathes new life into an infamous derelict factory.
Boyes has bought the former Polestar Greaves printing factory in Havers Hill.
The building has stood empty since 190 workers were made redundant from the site in April 2008 in one of the most severe blows to the town’s economy.
After three years of being boarded up, Boyes is set to transform the former factory into a warehouse for its chain of discount stores.
The news comes as Boyes announces further growth of its empire with the opening of the first shop in Doncaster, its 41st in total.
The business, which was founded 130 years ago and has its flagship store in Queen Street, is growing in its market place despite facing competition from national discount chains including Wilkinson, Poundland, Matalan and now Dunelm Mill.
Chairman Andrew Boyes said: “We see the purchase of the Polestar Greaves site as cementing our commitment to Scarborough as a place to have our offices and our distribution centre.
“As we have expanded we have been getting a bit pushed for space.
“This new site will give us extra capacity to service our stores and also new stores as we move forward.
“From a Scarborough point of view we are securing jobs and hopefully creating a few more too.
“We are delighted to be expanding, and to have opened our 41st store. We have our eye on a few more too, so there are possibilities for further openings.”
The new warehouse on the former Polestar Greaves site is next to Boyes’ headquarters in Havers Hill.
The company also has another warehouse in Hopper Hill.
Boyes boasts more than 250,000 customers a week and now employs more than 1,200 staff across seven different regions, including Yorkshire, the North East, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire.
The Boyes brand began in 1881 when William Boyes opened a small store in Eastborough.
By 1886 he had purchased further units in Market Street and Queen Street and knocked them into one large store.
The business continued to grow and in 1910 the expansion started.