A SCARBOROUGH pensioner on trial for allegedly assaulting his 25-year-old wife has claimed she attacked him in their marital bed with a bedside lamp only weeks after setting up home.
William Porter, 69, is accused of attacking the woman with a knife, leaving her with scars on her arm.
He denies a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
York Crown Court heard yesterday how businessman Porter, of Belgrave Crescent, went through various red-tape tangles in order to marry and bring his Tanzanian bride back to his home town.
The tanning shop owner then moved his new bride into his top floor flat, an address where his ex-wife also lived in the ground floor flat.
But Porter, who owns the Tan Express shop in Victoria Road, claims the whole marriage and alleged attack on him was a “set-up” in order for the woman to come to this country and then remain because of her married status.
The court heard the woman was introduced to Porter by her sister, who lives with her husband and child in South Cliff.
Porter told the court that it was a chance meeting and short conversation with the sister which first led to an exchange of photographs by email between him and his bride-to-be – two from him and one from her.
Then in July 2009 Porter flew out to Tanzania, starting a relationship with the young woman and then tried to arrange a visa for her to visit her sister.
Things didn’t work out, and the woman was held and then deported by UK border officials, leading to Porter proposing marriage so that she could reside in this country and be close to her sister.
Even those plans at first didn’t work out, said Porter, who married the woman in January last year, but then had to employ the services of his local MP in order to get the authorities to allow her into the country.
This was finally achieved in May 2010, the couple setting up home in Porter’s flat.
However, the jury has heard that on the night of June 13 last year an argument started over Porter’s sexual prowess, after he had drunk a bottle of rum and they had retired to their water bed, and allegedly led to him threatening his bride and then slashing her arm with a kitchen knife.
Porter previously told the court that the alleged victim bit both his hands, then slashed at her own arm, first with a pair of scissors and then a kitchen knife, after he threatened to call in the police. He said that he now considered the whole thing to be no more than a “set-up”.
The trial continues, with the jury expected to retire to consider their verdict this morning.