Assault followed refusal to party

Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208b
Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208b

A TEENAGER who left his sister’s wedding to go to a party where he assaulted two people has appeared in court.

James Harker, 18, of Tara Park in Norton, was at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court to face two charges of assault and one of using threatening words or behaviour.

Harker pleaded guilty to all charges which relate to an incident at Eastfield Avenue in Norton on August 28 last year.

Steve Ovenden, prosecuting, told the court that at 2.45am on the day in question Harker and a group of friends phoned for a taxi to take them from the wedding party at the Kings Head pub, to a house party in Eastfield Avenue.

When the taxi arrived at the destination Harker became aggressive and swore at the driver, who had earlier accused the group of taking money. Harker then went to the birthday party were the two assaults occurred.

Mr Ovenden said the party host was made aware there was a group of travellers at his front door wanting to come in. Reading a statement from the victim, he said: “I went downstairs and saw three people at my front door I didn’t know. I told them to go away.

“One punched me in the face while I was in the hall way. One then grabbed my tracksuit and tried to pull me down the stairs. I was able to get to my feet and push all three males out of my hall way and outside.

“As a result of the assault I had bruising to my face. No one had any right to assault me in that manner.”

A female, who tried to pull Harker off the male, was also struck during the incident.

Caroline Wyatt, mitigating, said Harker is a man of previous good character, and never been before the courts before. She said: “This is not a pleasant incident, and one which he deeply regrets.

“He is not responsible for the theft of the money but accepts his behaviour towards the taxi driver was not acceptable, and would like to offer his apologies to him.

“They go to the front door and are told they can’t go in because they are travellers. This has upset them. They thought they were being victimised.

“An argument took place and he accepts he punched the male. The female was inadvertently struck when she tried to separate them.

“He deeply regrets what he has done; an act which he says was foolish.”

Magistrates sentenced Harker to a community order with 100 hours unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay £50 compensation to each of the two victims as well as £85 costs.