Attack victim found his jaw had been smashed

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

The victim of a Scarborough town centre attack didn’t know what had hit him, but the following day he discovered that his jaw had been smashed in two places.

He had been out with friends on October 30, last year, when, following some trouble inside Quids Inn nightclub, he was attacked from behind in the street, being knocked unconscious with a punch to the side of his face.

Witnesses then described his attacker as landing several more blows to his face as he lay prone on the ground.

Before York Crown Court for sentencing was Marcus Cameron Godsell, 21, of Peasy Hill Road, Malton.

Godsell, who had previously pleaded guilty to a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm, claimed to have only landed the one punch.

Beverley Dawes, prosecuting, said that the following day the victim was in pain and having difficulty eating, an X-ray revealing the extent of his injuries.

He was sent to York District Hospital to undergo an operation to have plates screwed into place to fix his jaw, on the way calling at Malton police station to report the attack on him.

The court heard that the joiner had not intended making a complaint, but changed his mind on discovering the full extent of his injuries.

Following his arrest Godsell denied the attack, pleading not guilty at a preliminary hearing before the crown court, but changing his plea before the date of his trial.

Richard Canning, mitigating, asked the court not to immediately jail his client as this would “ruin his life”.

Adding that his client was working, Mr Canning said that prison would mean the loss of Godsell’s roofing job.

“On release from custody the chances of him finding work again would be slim to none”, he said.

Mr Canning said that, rather than burdening the taxpayer with the cost of keeping Godsell, it would be better for everyone if he was able to make financial retribution for what he had done and put something back into society.

Passing sentence, Judge Colin Burn said that what Godsell had done was “appalling” and the public were sick and tired of this sort of drunken violence on their streets.

Adding that he was taking the mitigation into account, the judge said that Godsell had avoided immediate custody by the skin of his teeth.

Godsell was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 240 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £1,500 compensation and £500 towards the costs of his prosecution.