Back to jail after drunken threats

Scarborough Magistrates Court
Scarborough Magistrates Court

A SCARBOROUGH man has been sent back to prison after threatening a security guard and stealing a gym bag from a car.

David Fraser Flinton, 30, of Hinderwell Road, admitted using threatening words and behaviour on September 7 and stealing a green canvas bag containing two pairs of shorts on September 9.

He also pleaded guilty to failing to attend court hearings on September 30 and the morning of October 3.

The court heard how Flinton had recently been released from prison and had been out drinking with friends on September 7.

A security guard at the Balmoral Centre was approached by a member of the public at 5pm, who was concerned about the behaviour of two men at the Aberdeen Street entrance.

When he approached them, Flinton was heard to say “We’ve just got out of prison - let’s just do him”.

When interviewed, Flinton told police he had been drinking for most of the day and couldn’t remember the offence.

Kathyrn Reeve, prosecuting, also gave details about the theft of a bag containing two pairs of shorts two days later.

Miss Reeve said Flinton had been seen taking the bag from an unattended vehicle in Alma Parade at around noon on September 9.

Franklyn Garvey, mitigating, said his client was released from prison on August 22 after serving a sentence for harassment.

He added that his situation was one of “absolute desperation”, as he had nowhere to live and ended up sleeping rough.

On September 7, he said Flinton had been “plied with alcohol” and “couldn’t remember the time of day”.

He added that he was not the main protagonist, but had used some “choice words” to the security guard.

Mr Garvey said that Flinton has admitted he has an alcohol problem and would welcome some formal help.

Magistrates ordered that he be taken into custody to serve the remaining 75 days of his original prison sentence. In addition he was given 24 weeks in prison for these offences and for failing to surrender to the court.