Bungling burglar left his train ticket

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A BUNGLING burglar left behind a Bridlington to Scarborough train ticket, complete with his fingerprint, at the scene of his crime, a court was told.

Christopher Jackson, 21, had been staying with his grandmother in Bridlington when he set off for a night out at a concert in Scarborough.

He met up with a friend and, in his own words, “was stoned” when he agreed to break into two adjoining flats in Ramshill Road on July 30 this year.

Police were later able to trace Jackson through the print on the rail ticket and also another on a concert ticket he also dropped at the scene of the crime.

Jackson, who has spent four months on remand awaiting sentence, appeared before York Crown Court for sentencing on two charges of burglary, one of shop theft and one of stealing a bicycle.

Taryn Turner, prosecuting, told how on June 7 this year, Jackson was seen stealing foodstuffs from the Tesco store in Westwood, and then consuming it outside the supermarket.

He then stole a cycle, left propped up outside the store, and rode off.

Jackson, who had previously admitted all the offences, was said to have then entered the two ground-floor Scarborough flats the following month with another man, a quantity of jewellery being stolen from each.

Later in interview Jackson told the police that he believed that they had been searching for a safe used by a dealer to store his drugs, but fully admitted that jewellery had been taken and that he had dropped the tickets.

The court heard that Jackson, originally from Bingley, West Yorkshire, had seven previous convictions for nine offences – primarily drug related – and had been subject to a community order at the time of the burglaries and thefts.

Passing sentence, The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst, said that it was clear that Jackson had fallen into bad company, becoming involved with drugs, but now had the chance to put his life back on track.

The existing community order was revoked and another of 12 months put in its place.

Jackson was also placed under 12 months’ supervision and ordered to take part in both an intensive alternative to custody scheme and a drugs programme.

Judge Ashurst also ordered a review of Jackson’s progress in three months’ time, to check on his progress and also to see if he had been able to save up enough money to pay compensation to his victims, as well as something towards the costs of his prosecution.