Court hears of ‘poisonous’ relationship

Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208b
Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208b

n Passing sentence, Recorder Deborah Sherwin said she was prepared to give Skelton the chance to prevent the “ping-pong” effect of going into prison, coming out and finding that he could not handle a relationship, and ending back in prison.

A COUPLE’S attempts to make their “poisonous” relationship work ended with a man appearing before a court.

As a result of problems between Thomas Skelton and his girlfriend she took out first an injunction against him and then obtained a restraining order to keep him away.

However, York Crown Court was told that whist serving a prison sentence Skelton, 23, was visited by his former partner and their young daughter and they arranged to try again on his release.

The couple went to the court to try and get the restraining order removed, but Scarborough magistrates refused.

Never-the-less the couple continued living together until an argument resulted in a pan of food being thrown, causing bruising to the woman’s leg, said Neil Campbell, prosecuting.

Bailey, formerly of Scarborough and now of no fixed abode, moved out but continued to try and contact his former partner by calling at her new home.

Skelton appeared before the court for sentencing on three previously admitted charges of breaching the restraining order, two of them committed whilst he was on bail for the first.

The court heard that Skelton has 10 previous convictions for 17 offences, including assaults on his mother, sister and girlfriend, and the breach of a non-molestation court order.

Taryn Turner, mitigating, said that Skelton had had a very difficult and disturbed adolescence and no longer had close family ties to help give him the guidance he needed.

Skelton was sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for two years, placed under supervision for two years and ordered to take part in a thinking skills programme.

He was also told to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and a further 12 month restraining order was brought into operation to prevent him directly contacting the victim.