Dramatic rescue footage: Girl, 15, still critical after 200ft fall from cliff near Filey

The cliffs at Filey where the girl fell. Picture: Ross Parry Agency
The cliffs at Filey where the girl fell. Picture: Ross Parry Agency

A FATHER watched in terror as his teenage daughter apparently lost her footing and plummeted down a cliff off the Yorkshire coast, leaving her with critical injuries.

The man rang coastguards to say he had just seen his 15-year-old daughter accidentally fall over a cliff edge just north of Chimney Hole, Filey. She was winched into the Coastguard Rescue helicopter and taken to hospital where on Monday her condition remained “critical but stable”.

She was named locally as 15-year-old Leah Price, who reports suggested is from the Nottingham area.

The incident happened at cliffs near the Blue Dolphin holiday park, near Filey.

A spokesman for Blue Dolphin Holiday Park said: “Leah’s father alerted our security team immediately after his daughter’s fall from the cliff path.

“The Coastguard and police, assisted by a Sea King helicopter, were quickly on the scene. We are continuing to offer assistance to Leah’s family and friends through this difficult and painful time.”

Coastguard rescue teams were called to the incident just after 7pm on Thursday.

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Police added: “The girl was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary with head injuries where she remains in a critical but stable condition.”

She is not the first person to get into difficulties in the Filey area.

In 2003 Terri Ann Ellwood, 16, of Peterlee, near Durham, fell 70ft to her death from a cliff while she was walking along a nearby coastal path at Lebberston Cliff, Filey. The path is part of the Cleveland Way and close to the Blue Dolphin Caravan Park.

While in 2009, coroner Michael Oakley, raised safety concerns after James Dyson, 20, plunged to his death. The North Yorkshire East Coroner spoke out after hearing Mr Dyson, of Mayfield Gardens, Ossett, probably slipped off the edge a the pathway – a public right of way – after wandering away from his friends at the Blue Dolphin holiday park, near Filey.

He recorded a verdict of accidental death and said he would write to authorities to find out who owned the land and would urge consideration of safety measures.

A spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said Coastguard Rescue Teams from Filey, Scarborough, Burniston, and Bridlington attended along with the inshore lifeboat from Filey attended the incident. Teams were training nearby were able to get on scene within ten minutes.

Rescuers were able to descend to the girl and give her first aid until the Coastguard Rescue helicopter arrived on scene and transferred her to Hull Royal Infirmary.

A post on social media website Twitter by Defence Press Agency showed a picture of the rescue on Thursday evening.

It described it as an “historic moment as new Coastguard helicopter Rescue 912 recovers its 1st casualty from Filey Brig.”