Fighting footballers in court

Malton Railway Station
Malton Railway Station

A trio of Scarborough footballers have appeared in court after a punch up in a train station followed a match.

Passengers at Malton Railway Station had to witness two people being thrown onto the lines in a fight between members of Pickering Town Football Club and others.

Three players, all from the Scarborough area, had been celebrating a 2-0 away win at Worksop when the fighting broke out on the platform during the early hours of October 12, last year.

During the battle, caught on CCTV, one man was repeatedly head-butted while lying prone of the ground and others punched a kicked.

Two men were seen on the CCTV recording falling onto the tracks, although at the time no trains were in the vicinity, said Rob Galley, prosecuting before York Crown Court on Monday.

Before the court were Jamie Patterson, 23, of Lexington Court, Dean Craig, 27, of Rarey Drive, and Lewis Taylor, 18, of Green Howards Drive, all admitting a charge of affray.

The court heard that after the parties separated, apparently without injury, the three defendants got on their train back to Scarborough, only for Craig to be attacked by another group, one wielding a 2ft long length of chain, at Seamer Railway Station.

Christine Mercer, for Patterson, said her client possibly faced the loss of him employment as a football coach for local schools as a result of the conviction.

Adding that Patterson, who coaches children between the ages of five and 11, would have to approach the headmasters of the various schools he worked at to see if they would still accept him as a role model.

She added that the father of one was genuinely remorseful for what he had done.

For Craig, who suffered a head injury in the Seamer incident, Taryn Turner said her client, a production line worket at Kingspan in Sherburn, had been extremely distressed and anxious about the criminal proceedings.

Mrs Turner told the court that Taylor who, like his team mates, had not been the instigator of the affray, had just left school and was hoping to take up an apprenticeship at the Plaxton works on Scarborough.

Passing sentence, Judge Shaun Spencer QC said he had read references and independent witness statements which led him to believe that the trio had acted out of character.

All three were placed under a 12 month community order with a requirement to complete 140 hours of unpaid work. They were also each ordered to pay costs of £200 and a victim surcharge of £60.