Former manager of Castle Howard estate Simon Howard to appear in court over child sex offences

Simon Howard has been charged with two child sex offences and is to appear in court, police and his family have confirmed.

Friday, 12th February 2021, 12:32 pm
The Rt Hon Simon Howard, pictured at the chapel at Castle Howard, has been charged with two child sex offences alleged to have occurred in the 1980s

The former manager of the Castle Howard estate is charged with the offences which date from 1984 when he was married to his first wife, and is to appear before Scarborough Magistrate's Court on Monday.

A statement released by the family said he denied the allegations in the "strongest possible terms".

Read more: Who is Simon Howard and why did he step down from running Castle Howard?

The Rt Hon Simon Howard, pictured outside Castle Howard

The family statement said Mr Howard had been charged with indecent assault and incitement to commit an act of gross indecency.

It continued: "Simon Howard's whole family are shocked by these allegations and are fully supportive of his confidence that he is innocent of all charges - which he denies in the strongest possible terms."

Howard managed the North Yorkshire estate - which is used as the setting in Brideshead Revisited and, more recently, Netflix's Bridgerton - from 1983 until 2015.

A brief statement released by North Yorkshire Police on Friday morning said: "A 65 year old man from the Malton area has been charged with two counts of Child Sex Offences.

"The man is due to appear at Scarborough Magistrates Court on Monday February, 15."

Support The Yorkshire Post and become a subscriber today. Your subscription will help us to continue to bring quality news to the people of Yorkshire. In return, you'll see fewer ads on site, get free access to our app and receive exclusive members-only offers. Click here to subscribe.