Hunmanby thug Dean Pruden-Carr jailed for breaching restraining order and beating ex-partner
A thug has been jailed for nearly three years after forcing his way into his ex-partner’s home and subjecting her to a savage beating during which she was whacked “like a punch ball”.
Dean Pruden-Carr, 30, from Hunmanby, had been banned from approaching the victim because of previous violence towards her.
But on December 12 last year, he forced his way through her front door, pushed her to the floor and forced her head down, causing a nosebleed.
The violence only came to an end when the victim pretended to call police, prompting Pruden-Carr to flee, York Crown Court heard.
“She was so frightened she didn’t (actually) call police,” said prosecutor Stephanie Hancock.
About four months later, in February this year, Pruden-Carr started bombarding the victim with threatening and abusive text messages.
In the final message, on February 20, Pruden-Carr said he was going to “hurt her that day, and that is exactly what he did”, added Ms Hancock.
Pruden-Carr went to her home in Stonegate that evening and again headed straight for the front door.
The victim saw him coming and shouted for him to go away, but he kicked through the door and smashed a glass panel, causing a “nasty” cut to her hand.
His ex-partner and her friend were “screaming” for Pruden-Carr to stop, but he steamed into the house and punched the victim “repeatedly”.
“He pushed her to the floor and punched her again,” said Ms Hancock.
When the victim’s friend tried to get him off her, he struck her with another blow.
The victim’s landlord was alerted but when he went to the property, Pruden-Carr aimed a volley of abuse at him before leaving.
The victim suffered facial injuries including bruising and bleeding around the eyes.
Pruden-Carr, of Bridlington Street, was later arrested but refused to answer police questions.
However, he later pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three counts of breaching a restraining order and common assault.
The father-of-one appeared for sentence on Monday after being remanded in custody.
The court heard he had a track record for domestic violence and a rap sheet which included six previous convictions for offences such as assaulting a previous partner and assaulting the current victim when their relationship came to an end in June last year, which resulted in a restraining order banning him from contacting her or going to her home.
The victim, described as “vulnerable”, said she didn’t feel safe in her own home anymore and was “wary of going out” in case she bumped into Pruden-Carr.
She said that during the attack she “felt like a punch ball”.
Defence barrister Victoria Smithswain said that Pruden-Carr admitted he had hurt his ex-partner “significantly” and was “extremely remorseful”.
The court heard he had gone to her house on numerous occasions while still subject to the restraining order.
Recorder Simon Kealey QC jailed Pruden-Carr for 34 months, of which he will serve half behind bars before being released on prison licence.
Mr Kealey QC also imposed a new, five-year restraining order banning Pruden-Carr from contacting or approaching the victim, who was named in court.