Man, 21, jailed for order breach

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A SCARBOROUGH man has been jailed for his second breach of a sexual offences prevention order.

James Hudson, who is now 21, appeared before York Crown Court for sentencing, having admitted breaching the order which was imposed as part of a community order in January 2009.

The court heard that the order, preventing him from having contact with females under the age of 16, was originally passed after Hudson’s conviction for having sexual relations with an underage girl in October 2008.

The court heard that Hudson, of Queen’s Terrace, was last year sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders’ institute for the first breach of the order.

On this occasion Hudson was found in a car with a teenage girl, having arranged to meet her.

He also later contacted the girl by telephone.

Sabrina Hartshorne, prosecuting, told the court that the current breach, which happened on February 2 this year, involved another young girl being found by police in Hudson’s flat.

She added, however, that it was accepted that Hudson had taken in the girl and her boyfriend for one night as a favour after she was kicked out of home.

Despite initial denials that there was a young girl on the premises when the police called at the flat, Hudson admitted what had happened when the officers asked to have a look around.

Ruth Cranidge, mitigating, said that her client had been remanded in custody since his arrest and had therefore served the equivalent of a 10 month sentence.

Adding that Hudson accepted that he should have refused the couple permission to stay over, Miss Cranidge said that it had not been a case of her client seeking out a young girl, rather that he had foolishly agreed to help.

Jailing Hudson for 12 months, Judge Colin Burn told him that, despite the reason for the girl being at the flat, it was still a serious breach and one made worse because it was his second.

Warning Hudson that if there was another breach he could be facing a very lengthy sentence, the judge told him that he had to bear in mind in the future that it was up to him to take action to prevent the order being broken - and to simply say “no”.