Man, 32, jailed for attack on partner

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A MAN has been jailed for 16 months after attacking his partner in front of their two-and-a-half-year-old daughter.

Alan David Cammish, 32, was sentenced at York Crown Court after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The toddler had been present when her mother was attacked in her Scarborough flat, being repeatedly punched, grabbed by the throat and bitten on her cheek, the court heard.

The girl was screaming “No Daddy” throughout the sustained assault, eventually being snatched by her father and taken out into the street.

Brian Moore, prosecuting, told how the couple’s seven year relationship had been a difficult one, with several alleged incidents of violence – one of which was reported to the authorities but not pursued.

The couple had split but by July 11 this year were again seeing each other, Cammish living from time to time with the victim and his daughter.

On that day Cammish, of Windsor Crescent, Bridlington, went out drinking, and despite a warning from his partner he returned drunk after drinking 20 bottles of lager.

He began abusing her, calling her a “dog” and then, as she sat on a settee with their daughter, began the assault which carried on throughout the flat.

The victim made several unsuccessful attempts to escape the building, also screaming for help out of a window, before finally managing to get out into the street with the young, crying girl.

Cammish snatched his daughter back and, after first returning to the flat, and then left the scene with her, before later himself contacting the police.

The court heard that Cammish has several previous convictions for violence, including two in which he bit his victims, resulting in prison sentences.

One of these attacks resulted in one complainant having to have 24 stitches inserted into an ear wound.

As a result of the attack she sustained a black eye, reddening, a tooth mark to her cheek and damage to her arm and hand.

Ruth Cranidge, mitigating, asked the court not to jail her client, who had already spent 98 days on remand, telling the court that prison would lead to him losing his accommodation and not receiving the help Cammish knows he needs.

She added that because of the state he was in, and because what had happened, Cammish had realised that his daughter should not be with him and had contacted the police to ensure her safety.