Man admits assault on girlfriend

Scarborough Magistrates Court
Scarborough Magistrates Court

A SCARBOROUGH man admitted assaulting his girlfriend and smashing her mobile phone when she threatened to call the police.

Colin Frazer, 50, of Victoria Road, appeared at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court facing charges of assault and criminal damage.

The incident happened on July 10 after the couple had been to Harrogate for the day to see a friend.

Catherine Turnbull, prosecuting, said that the defendant had been in an on-off relationship with the victim for around eight years and had previously been to prison for assaulting her.

On the day in question, problems began when the pair were getting ready to leave Harrogate.

Miss Turnbull said that they went into a betting shop and when the defendant started to lose money, he blamed his girlfriend and became abusive.

She asked for her train ticket so she could go home, but Frazer said he wanted her to go to a pub in York with him.

When they got back to Scarborough she went to the Nelson pub in Victoria Road as she knew he was barred from there.

He was seen banging on the window and was asked to leave by staff.

Miss Turnbull said: “The victim was walking home and he jumped out from behind a wall and got hold of her hair.

“He also got hold of her phone, as she said she would call the police, and smashed it on the floor.

“He grabbed her by the throat with his right hand. She was pulling at him trying to get him off and he continued to squeeze her throat.”

The victim went back to the Nelson and the landlord called the police, who later arrested Frazer.

Robert Vining, mitigating, said that the defendant had received a number of text messages from the victim since the last court hearing saying that she wanted him back.

He said that Frazer wished the contact to cease and that the situation was a “nightmare”.

Mr Vining said: “Yes he admits that he assaulted her and broke her phone. He has somewhat a twisted view of a man’s role in a relationship with a woman.”

He added that a report by the probation service had suggested that Frazer’s problems are “very deeply entrenched”.

The defendant was given a 24-month community order with supervision and ordered to complete the Integrated Domestic Abuse Programme.

He must also carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £85 court costs plus £148 compensation for the mobile phone and £50 for the victim’s bruising injuries.

Magistrates also made a five-year restraining order which states that Frazer must not use or threaten violence against the victim.