Man is jailed for golf club assault

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A SCARBOROUGH man has been jailed for more than a year after attacking a man with a golf club.

Anthony Smith, 36, of Trafalgar Square, appeared before York Crown Court for sentencing, having earlier admitted two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He also admitted a breach of his bail by failing to turn up at the court for an earlier hearing.

The court heard that, before Smith could be questioned and charge for the golf club attack, he went on to carry out another assault in Filey only three days later.

David Bradshaw, prosecuting, told how the victim had been out in Filey town centre with friends on August 21 last year and was returning home when he came across a disturbance at Chapel Corner.

After ignoring the advice of police officers to move on, the group was then approached by Smith, wielding the club and hitting the victim, a local man, twice on the head.

The court heard the victim, who suffered bruising, minor cuts and abrasions, was struck so hard that the golf club head snapped off.

Then, on October 24 Smith had been celebrating with his former wife after a court hearing to amicably sort out access and residency matters surrounding their young daughter.

The couple returned to Mrs Smith’s home in Queen Street, where her new partner was, and continued drinking, before Smith suddenly attacked the partner, accusing him of being a “bad father” and punching him.

When warned that the police were being called, Smith again attacked, grabbing the man by the throat and, when he fell to the floor, kicked him three times to the head.

Glenn Parsons, mitigating, said Smith, who has a previous record for violence, dishonesty and criminal damage, was “ashamed” and “disgusted” by his conduct.

Adding that his client had had several problems, not least the death of his mother, Mr Parsons said that his client had been drinking four litres of cider a day, but had now quit alcohol altogether.

He said that Smith realised that he had to change his ways if he was to maintain contact with his children.

Jailing Smith for a total of 15 months and seven days, Judge Peter Ibbotson said that the aggravating factors were that the assaults took place within such a short period of time and that young children had been in the house during one of the attacks.