Man jailed after savage and sustained attack on partner

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

After being told to leave his girlfriend’s home after admitting to her that he had been in a “compromising” position with another woman a Scarborough man attacked her.

York Crown Court was told on Friday that Scott Linfoot “stormed” towards his partner, punching her to the floor, knocking over a television set, which rolled into her head, sitting astride her and biting her cheek, drawing blood.

Linfoot then grabbed his victim by the throat, strangling her and leaving her fighting for breath, before walking away, only to return and deliver a full force punch, sending her crashing back to the ground as she struggled to get up.

He then grabbed her hair, dragging her across the floor before she was able to seek refuge in the bathroom and summon help.

Helen Wheatley, prosecuting, told how his girlfriend had been out with her mother, returning home in the early hours of the morning on January 25, this year.

She was met by a drunken Linfoot, demanding to know where she had been and then confessing to having got drunk, taking a line of M/CAT and the waking to find himself in the “compromising” situation with a stranger.

The attacks started when his girlfriend asked Linfoot, 24, of Briarcliffe, to leave and talk matters over later in the day.

The court heard that Linfoot had several matters on his criminal record, including one for a prior domestic violence incident involving a female relative.

The court was told by Miss Wheatley that the year-long relationship between the couple had been volatile as a result of their drinking habits.

Glenn Parsons, mitigating, said that Linfoot had expressed deep shame and was genuinely remorseful about what he had done, asking the court to give his client a final chance by allowing him to retain his liberty and attend a domestic violence programme.

Passing sentence, The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst, told Linfoot that he had come to the conclusion that the sustained nature of the violence in this case could not be overlooked.

He jailed Linfoot for nine months.