Man jailed for harassment

Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208a
Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208a

A MAN has been jailed after breaching his restraining order just a week after being released from prison for the same offence.

David Fraser Flinton, 29, of Hinderwell Road, was released on May 13 after being handed a three month sentence in March after he unlawfully contacted his ex-partner.

Just seven days later Flinton spoke to the woman again on two separate occasions, and he was again hauled before the courts.

This time Flinton, who pleaded guilty to two counts of harassment by breach of a restraining order, was handed a six-month jail sentence.

Scarborough Magistrates’ Court heard that Flinton approached the woman in the Post Office in Aberdeen Walk at around 4.30pm on May 20.

Flinton asked to talk, but after she refused, he swore at his ex-partner.

At around 8.30pm, Flinton was then waiting outside the victim’s property on his bike. As she walked down the street, Flinton peddled alongside her and boasted that he had a new girlfriend.

At midnight, it was alleged that Flinton had been seen tapping on the window of his ex-partner’s home, although the victim herself did not see him.

The police were called, and he was arrested a short distance away.

Nick Tubbs, mitigating, said: “He is keen that you understand that as far as he is concerned, he was just standing in the Post Office in the queue, and she approached him to talk about money she says he still owes her.

“On the second occasion she happened to come out of her flat, and he was there waiting for a friend. They passed by each other and a brief exchange took place.

“He said he did not want to speak to her.”

Mr Tubbs added: “He has asked about an order to keep her away. I hope that you will deal with him as leniently as possible.”

The restraining order, which was granted on February 9, is due to run until February 2014.

An angry Flinton shouted: “I’ll put an appeal in”, before security staff led him away to start the six month sentence.