Man punched in club fracas

A SCARBOROUGH man “launched” at a late-night reveller to punch him in the face during a heated row in a nightclub, a court heard.

Matthew Eyre, of Rockingham Drive, struck the man and then grabbed his former partner in an argument over access to his child.

Eyre, 24, admitted two counts of assault at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court after the incident in Vivaz, in Huntriss Row, last month.

Prosecuting, Kathryn Reeve said Eyre, a chef at The Ivanhoe pub, had knocked the man to the floor with the force of the punch.

She said: “Eyre and the woman had been in a relationship and have a child together.

“On this day, the woman was out with friends and ended up in Vivaz around 2am.

“She had made her way down the stairs into the club with the man into the main bar area.

“It was here that he noticed Eyre coming towards him before he raised his right fist and hit him to the right of his face.

“The woman has then seen Eyre turn to her with an aggressive expression and he grabs her by the arm to face him.

“She is pushed backwards on the stairs, hitting her left shoulder and back of her head.

“He was pulled off by her friend and ejected.”

Mitigating, Robert Vining said Eyre had moved on with his life but deeply regretted his actions.

He said: “If he could turn back the clock, this would have never have happened.

“It was total frustration which was inexcusable and he knows that.

“When he was charged his words were, ‘I’m sorry’, and he does regret it.

“He has taken great stock since the incident but there was a period where access to his child was stopped.

“He became very upset about it and could not get anywhere.

“He was in the bar and had been drinking, the upshot of which is that he launched at them and got his retaliation in first.

“He tried to speak to the woman but she was not prepared to talk after what had happened.”

Mr Vining said Eyre had sought treatment for alcohol and anger management issues at The Cambridge Centre, and was showing significant signs of improvement.

He added: “His life has now very much taken a turn for the better.

“If he had known that around the corner there would be a job and contact with his child again it would not have happened.

“He genuinely is sorry.”

Magistrates adjourned the case until later this month for pre-sentence reports to be prepared.