Man struck mother in row

Scarborough Magistrates Court.
Scarborough Magistrates Court.

A SCARBOROUGH man who assaulted his mother told police she fabricated the attack “because she was twisted”, a court heard.

Zac Rhodes, 20, appeared at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court after pleading guilty to striking his mother during an argument at the family home in March.

The court also heard Rhodes, of Columbus Ravine, threw his mobile phone at a wall and brought out a hammer during the incident.

However, he did not use the weapon.

Prosecuting, Sandra White told Scarborough Magistrates’ Court that Rhodes began arguing with his mother after an incident when his sister closed a door on him.

She said: “He had started to get more aggressive and threw his mobile phone against the wall, causing it to lodge in the plaster.

“He removed it and hit his mother on the forehead causing a lump.

“He was tackled to the floor and during the struggle, some items were damaged.

“She has gone to contact the police and as she did that he went upstairs and came back with a hammer.

“She was concerned for her safety and shut her eyes so she could not see what happened.

“She screamed down the phone and he pulled the phone line from the socket.

“He said he did it in frustration and told police his mother ‘must have headbutted something after he left because she is twisted’.”

Mitigating, Marcus Topham said Rhodes suffered from ADHD and bipolar depression, which affected his behaviour.

He said: “He has problems with his temper - though not through wilfulness on his part - but his anger did take hold of him.

“He has a medical condition and does not have the strategies to cope.

“The argument seems to have arose over his mother taking his sister’s side.

“That has provoked him to pick his phone up and through it at the wall, he did not throw it at his mother.

“He knows he should not have struck her and that led to him being restrained quite forcibly.

“He has been put on the ground and held and has lost complete control over his actions.

“He came back with the hammer but did not threaten anyone with it and had it for self-protection.

“He took a tool downstairs because, in his mind, he had been assaulted, but there was no suggestion he would go rampaging around with it.”

Magistrates handed Rhodes a two-year community order with a supervision requirement and ordered him to carry out 150 hours unpaid work. He was also made to pay £110 compensation for the wall damage.