Man ‘tried to sell knife to youths’

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A SCARBOROUGH man with five previous convictions for having bladed items in public has appeared before a court for numbers six and seven.

Wayne Ford-Jones, 31, was due to appear before York Crown Court on one charge, but the court heard that he had been sent by Scarborough magistrates on another committed while on bail for the first.

Ford-Jones, of no fixed abode, had previously admitted both charges of possessing a bladed article in public and was placed under a two year community order.

Laura Addy, prosecuting, told how on the evening of January 4 this year, Ford-Jones staggered into McDonald’s in Huntriss Row and began trying to talk to a group of youths.

Claiming that his wife had died and that he had been “sniffing” something, Ford-Jones took out a double-bladed knife and offered to sell it for cash for alcohol.

Miss Addy said that the youths had not felt threatened and the only person to be injured was Ford-Jones when, bizarrely, he ran one of the blades down his own face, drawing blood. In a police interview Ford-Jones later said of the knife: “It’s a bit of a dangerous one like.”

Ford-Jones was then bailed, but on the evening of May 15 the police received reports of a man walking in the West Square of the town with a knife.

CCTV was used to track the man, seen approaching a youth with the knife and talking to him.

Officers arrived in the area and a short search brought them in contact with Ford-Jones who handed over a six-inch bladed knife, saying initially that he had it to protect himself, but then claiming: “I might need to stab someone with it”.

He later denied this motive and said that he had in fact being trying to sell the knife.

Simon Revell, mitigating, said that it was clear that the cause of everything were the difficulties faced by his client, particularly with alcohol which he substituted for the Class “A” drugs he had been addicted to.

Ford-Jones was warned by Judge Colin Burn that he hoped Ford Jones would “not fail to take this opportunity, or someone is going to get hurt, or someone - i.e. you - is going to prison”.

Passing sentence the judge said that no one had felt threatened by Ford-Jones on these two occasions but if they had, or anyone else in the future was, prison would be the only answer.

Ford-Jones was also placed under two years supervision and ordered to complete 120 hours of unpaid work.