Man walks free – after third attack

Scarborough Magistrates Court
Scarborough Magistrates Court

A SCARBOROUGH man who unleashed a barrage of punches on his girlfriend leaving her in hospital walked free from court.

John Barrett, 26, of Kealia Court, already had two previous convictions for domestic assaults against two previous partners when he launched his latest attack on June 6.

Martin Butterworth, prosecuting, said: “The couple went to the pub for the evening. There was a bit of an argument between the two because he was on the karaoke and he felt everyone was ignoring him when he was singing.”

After visiting the Newcastle Packet and The Lord Nelson pubs on the Foreshore, Barrett went home without telling his partner.

Describing the lead-up to the attack, Mr Butterworth added: “She couldn’t see him so she went home. She went back to the flat and he was sitting on the settee. She said ‘why did you leave me?’ Without a response he leapt up off the settee and came at her.”

Barrett then punched the woman several times to her face and head. The pair ended up in the kitchen, where the attack continued, and the victim hit her head against wall units.

He then dragged the woman around the flat, as she cried and begged him to stop. The court heard that Barrett eventually calmed down.

She was taken to accident and emergency at Scarborough Hospital, where she was kept overnight.

She said she felt as if her nose had been broken, although Mr Butterworth said he could not confirm whether that had been the case.

Other injuries to the victim included bruises above her left eye, bruising to the back of her head and cuts and scratches to her arms.

Barrett, who the court heard works as a part-time karaoke singer, pleaded guilty to common assault at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court. It was said that Barrett had assaulted his partner on previous occasions, although she had not reported them to police.

He also tried to persuade his partner not to report the latest attack to police and attempted to wash her clothes. The court heard that the woman was pregnant with Barrett’s baby at the time that she was attacked, although both had been unaware of her condition.

Robert Vining, mitigating, said that since the incident his client had taken steps get treatment for alcohol abuse.

Dr David Chambers, the chairman of the bench, told Barrett that he had been within a whisker of being sent to jail, but that magistrates had been persuaded to suspend the 17 week jail sentence for two years.

“This was sustained,” he said. “It occurred late at night in the home, alcohol was involved and your partner was hospitalised.

“If during the period of two years you commit another offence or do not comply with the order the expectation is that this sentence will be activated.”

Barrett was also ordered to complete 250 hours of unpaid work and pay £85 costs. A restraining order for three years was imposed, which banned Barrett from going within 50 metres of his partner’s home or using or threatening violence towards her.