Mother jailed after scarring woman, 19, in glassing attack

Stephanie Johnson
Stephanie Johnson

A Scarborough mother has been jailed for attacking another woman with a glass, causing permanent scarring to her face.

York Crown Court was told on Thursday that this was not the first time Stephanie Johnson had been before the courts, being in breach of a suspended prison sentence at the time of the attack for hitting another female with a metal bar.

Johnson, 20, the single parent of a young daughter, appeared for sentencing after having previously admitted a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Simon Whalley, prosecuting, told how the 19-year-old victim had been out with others in the Eastfield area on February 13, this year, when she had an altercation with Johnson’s step sister.

Having got the better of the situation, the teenager was then attacked by Johnson, of Falsgrave Road.

Johnson, who had been on her way to a party and carrying a glass, hit the victim on the head, causing the weapon to shatter before dragging it down the teenager’s face.

As a result of the attack, the victim suffered an abrasion to her head, but also two deep cuts to her face - one two-and-half centimetres long and the other six centimetres, requiring a total of 14 stitches.

The court was told that, as a result of the scarring, the victim now felt that others would stare at her and judge her on her appearance alone.

The court heard that Johnson’s criminal record also includes convictions for being drunk, battery, damage and theft.

Johnson was said to be remorseful for the injuries, not having intended to cause so much damage.

Taryn Turner, mitigating, said that her client realised that she was going to be separated from her daughter for some time, her own mother stepping into the breach to take over the care of the child until Johnson was released.

Passing sentence, Recorder David Bradshaw said that it was clear from Johnson’s criminal record that, even at the age of 20, she has a problem with drink. Johnson was sentenced to 45 months custody and ordered to pay a community charge of £120.