Prison for man who stole from his mother

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A 46-YEAR-OLD man raided his mother’s home for jewellery, silverware and other valuables as “compensation” after believing he had been cut out of her will.

York Crown Court was told that after working hard in the family antiques business, Marcus Jackson suddenly found himself out of favour, out of work and without a home.

The court heard that Jackson, formerly of Atlantis Holiday Flats, Queens Parade, allowed his feelings of rejection to fester, eventually using his keys to first enter the Malton home of his mother, Gillian Jackson, and then that of his sister nearby.

Jackson took items valued at around £5,000, but only got a fraction of their worth when selling them at jewellers shops in the Scarborough and Malton areas.

When Jackson appeared before the court for sentencing, having previously admitted two charges of theft and two of fraud, Laura Addy, mitigating, said that she was in the unusual position of asking the court to jail her client.

Miss Addy said that it was her instructions to ask for such a sentence because Jackson now had nowhere to live and felt that prison would provide him with a home of sorts, support and help him to not feel as isolated.

Mrs Jackson and her new partner had worked with her son in an antique business, but, said Alan Mitcheson, prosecuting, things had gone wrong and the defendant found himself becoming isolated.

Miss Addy said that as a result of the resulting family problems, Jackson had also lost his accommodation and then his relationship with the mother of his two-year-old daughter.

She said that he had found out that his National Insurance contributions and tax had not been paid by his mother’s partner and then discovered that he had been cut out of her will, having already spent his inheritance from his deceased father, a former press photographer, on helping to support his mother and set up the antique business.

Passing sentence, The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst, said that an aggravating feature of the case was that Jackson had been convicted in the past for similar offending against his mother.

Jailing Jackson for 12 weeks, the judge told him to use his furniture restoration skills on his release, find work and rebuild bridges with his family.