Prison sentence for former swimmer

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

Former World Championship swimmer Andrew Hogg has been jailed after admitting two violent incidents including repeatedly kicking and stamping on an unconscious man’s head.

The former South African member of the world swimming championships and Commonwealth Games believed his drinks had been spiked with M/Cat.

Hogg, 28, of Lodge Close, Cayton, who has worked as a swimming teacher and a Scarborough RNLI lifeguard, was jailed for 12 months when he appeared before York Crown Court.

The court heard in the early hours of February 25, 2012, Hogg was involved in a violent incident in Westborough, alongside two others.

CCTV coverage showed Hogg stamping or jumping on the head of a man who has been assaulted. Then 40 minutes later he charged out of a town centre taxi office and repeatedly stamped on the head of another man, who lay helpless and unconscious on the ground.

Hogg appeared for sentencing on two charges of affray and one of wounding. Also before the court were Karl Lowther, 28, of Durham Street, on a charge of wounding and Christopher Smith, 19, of Large Westgate, on a charge of affray.

In the first incident, after the trio left Vivas nightclub, Smith punched a male in the face, Hogg then jumping into the affray while Lowther attempted to pull the parties apart.

In the second incident, outside the Atlas taxi office, Lowther was attacked by another, Hogg again rushing in and using his feet. Lowther then delivered two punches after the victim was left unconscious on the ground by Hogg’s attack.

Taryn Turner, for Hogg, said her client had been “appalled” when he was shown the CCTV coverage of what he had done.

She added Hogg believed his drinks had been spiked, causing him to act completely out of character, with forensic testing showing traces of the drug.

For Lowther, Chloe Fairley said her unemployed client had acted as a peacemaker in the first incident and had been the initial victim in the second.

Smith was sentenced to a 12 month community order with a requirement to complete 100 hours of unpaid work, and pay £300 in costs.

Lowther received a nine month prison sentence, suspended for two years with supervision, 100 hours unpaid work and £150 costs.

The recorder told Hogg that it gave the court no pleasure whatsoever to see someone with his past and abilities appearing on such charges.

He added that he could not ignore the fact, despite Hogg being of previous exemplary character that he had been involved in two incidents and had carried out a sustained attack on one of the victims.