As child rapist Aaron Walker spends his first week behind bars, his old schoolmates say his crimes are “no surprise” to them.
The 20-year-old was locked up for four years and four months after admitting raping an under-age boy, and inciting the youngster to engage in sexual activity.
York Crown Court heard that before carrying out the attack in Scarborough, Walker, then 18, threatened to “humiliate” the boy on social media if he did not comply with the sexual demands.
At Friday’s sentencing hearing, Walker – who has learning difficulties – was described as being naive and immature by his solicitor.
But he had plans to join the army and studied uniformed services.
In one Facebook profile picture, he proudly poses with a gun on Armed Forces Day, and friends say he also wanted to be a police dog handler.
“He wanted to do something with his life,” said one friend.
But those dreams are now over after previously conviction-free Walker admitted the charges, while another sexual offence by Walker against the same boy was taken into consideration by the court but not included on the charge sheet.
Judge Neil Clark said Walker’s sex offences appeared to have started “as some silly, childish daring”.
Sentencing Walker to a young-offenders’ institution, Mr Clark told him: “It is clear from psychological reports that you have some difficulties in learning and that you are a very naïve young man with a troubled childhood.”
Mr Clark also made a sexual-harm prevention order which restricts Walker from contacting the victim, and limits the contact he can have with under 18s.
Mr Clark told Walker he would have to sign on the sex-offenders’ register for life and notify police about any change in his circumstances.
And one person who went to say that at Graham School he had a reputation as a “loner”.
“I think some people who went to school with him won’t be suprised at all by this,” said one former classmate.
“People used to think there was just something not right about him – this explains it.”