Scarborough man banned from keeping animals for life after beating dog

Bruising still visible on Charlie's face.
Bruising still visible on Charlie's face.

A man from Scarborough has been banned from keeping animals for life after admitting causing unnecessary suffering to a dog called ‘Charlie’, who he had re-homed from Facebook just ten days before.

Stanley Thomas Collins, 30, of Seamer Road appeared before the town’s magistrates’ court for sentencing on Friday.

At a hearing in June, he pleaded guilty to, on or about 3 September 2015, causing unnecessary suffering to the Staffy-type dog by subjecting him to unnecessary physical violence.

He was also sentenced to 12 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months; a 12 week curfew order between the hours of 7.30pm and 6am and ordered to pay £1,800 costs.

RSPCA inspector Geoff Edmond said: “This was a really nasty case.

“A neighbour of Collins heard him beating this poor dog and was so concerned they rang 999.

“The police attended very quickly and liaised with me to get Charlie to the vets where he was found to be black and blue.

“Luckily there were no broken bones but he was badly bruised all over, particularly around his rear end, where he had been repeatedly kicked from behind.

“He was in so much pain he had to be sedated to be examined and had to have a catheter fitted so he could urinate.”

Charlie was signed over to the RSPCA and after lots of TLC is looking for a new home.

RSPCA inspector Edmond added: “The kennels staff and RSPCA Scarborough & District Branch have done a brilliant job with Charlie - now renamed Seb - giving him the quiet, the time and the patience to start to get his confidence back after this terrible experience.

“He was a very frightened dog when he first came into RSPCA care, and he is still nervous until he gets to know you, but I’m so happy to say he’s recovering well and is looking for a loving, forever home.

“Anyone who is interested should call RSPCA Scarborough & District Branch on 01723 369804.

“I’d also like to thank North Yorkshire Police for how they dealt with this incident. Their quick response ensured this dog was saved from any further pain and his injuries were dealt with quickly.”