Six-year jail term for partner attack

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A MAN who left a Scarborough woman with a fractured skull and her friend with a broken nose has been jailed for six years.

Patrick Lee, who moved in with the woman at her Scarborough home last autumn, was responsible for the “very disturbing tale,” York Crown Court heard,.

He became more and more controlling, his behaviour including governing what the woman could wear and who she could see, checking mobile phones for messages, and restricting her movements.

On a weekend in February a friend of his partner visited and it was thought that she would be staying over.

However, the friend and 28-year-old Lee, of no fixed address, were discovered having sex in the house, leading to an argument which resulted in the woman being punched and kicked and the guest hit in the face. Tom Storey, prosecuting, said the woman was found with a fractured skull and eye socket and the other woman with a broken nose after she had tried to stop the attacks.

When the police were finally called in Lee tried to impede their entry to the house but was pushed past and the officers found the mother unconscious on the floor.

He said that Lee’s controlling Lee appeared before York Crown Court for sentencing, having previously admitted two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one of inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent.

He also admitted a charge of cruelty to a child under 16 and assault on a child.

Recorder David Gordon described Lee’s actions as “appalling” and sent him to prison for a total of six years. The court also placed him under an indefinite restraining order, preventing him having any contact with the woman or approaching their home.

Taryn Turner, mitigating, said that Lee was remorseful for his actions in this “very disturbing tale”.

Adding that all Lee now wanted to do was return to live out his days back in Ireland, his home country, when he was free to do so, Mrs Turner said that Lee had himself come from a dysfunctional family.

Recorder Graham said the actions of Scarborough Hospital – in refusing to supply the court with full details of the mother’s injuries – were “odd” and, with agreement of all parties, sentenced on available information.