Take that: Jail for thug with 69 offences

Gary Stone
Gary Stone

A SCARBOROUGH man who threatened a takeaway shop owner with a knuckleduster in an abusive confrontation has been jailed for five years.

Gary Stone, 22, was sentenced at York Crown Court after attempting to attack the man in Munchies takeaway, in Colescliffe Road, last year.

Stone had 69 previous offences dating back to when he was 13 year-old.

In a separate incident alongside Stone pleaded guilty to burglary and affray after assaulting a man and demanding money from him.

Joshua Ireland 18, of Woodland Place, admitted a charge of wounding for his part in the incident and was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in a Young Offenders Institution.

York Crown Court heard Stone, of Barrowcliff Road, and a 17-year-old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, entered the takeaway on November 15, and after an argument, vaulted the counter and wielded the knuckleduster.

However, after a member of staff produced a kitchen knife, Stone stopped and resorted to hurling a torrent of abuse while the youth threatened to throw a bottle before ducking away when he spotted the knife.

David Dixon, representing Stone, said his client now realised he had wasted almost a third of his life and knew he had to change.

Andrew Semple, mitigating for the youth – who had 24 previous offences and in breach of a court order - said he had endured a troubled upbringing and had not realised Stone had the knuckleduster when he entered the premises.

He was placed on a six month Detention and Training Order.

The court also heard Stone had been involved another violent episode just one month earlier when he assaulted a man in his home after stalking his victim and demanding cash.

The court was told Stone, and pestered the man for money before bundling him into his home where Ireland pulled out a knife.

The attackers disturbed the victim’s friend who was sleeping on a settee and in the melee that ensued, Ireland - with 22 previous convictions - lashed out at the man causing cuts to his ear, neck and cheek.

The pair then stole a television, mobile phone and a bottle of whiskey.

Patricia Doherty, representing Ireland, said he had admitted he had acted “foolishly and stupidly” and was remorseful.