A TEENAGER who drove in an “appalling” manner to show off has lost his job after he was banned from the roads.
Matthew Harrison, 18, of Vicarage Lane in Sherburn, drove at speeds exceeding 95 miles-per-hour while overtaking and straddling central lanes, Scarborough Magistrates’ Court heard.
He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving.
Katy Varlow, prosecuting. said that a police officer of more than 20 years’ experience who tracked Harrison said he had “never seen such poor driving” from a driver not trying to evade capture.
The officer also stated that one of Harrison’s two teenage female passengers was left “shaking and terrified” because of his driving.
Mrs Varlow added: “A police officer in a marked police vehicle saw a Corsa driving out of town. It did not have any lights on and the vehicle was difficult to see.
“The car continued without any lights on for 300 yards. The car overtook a Ford Focus where the road bends and there was limited visibility.
“The car was taking bends widely. The speedometer in the police car showed 95 miles-per-hour, but the officer was still losing ground on the Corsa.
“The officer was extremely concerned about the safety of the driver and other road users. The slightest defect in the road was likely to make the driver lose complete control. The policeman pulled the car over and arrested the defendant once the road straightened out.”
The offence was committed on the A169 between Pickering and the A64 interchange at Old Malton at around 9.30pm on March 24.
Martin Summers, mitigating, denied that Harrison’s passengers had been perturbed by his driving.
“Both teenage girls made statements and gave no indication that they were concerned,” he said.
“The shock the police officer saw was as a consequence of being stopped by police. The girls did not tell Matthew to slow down and were singing along to music in the car.”
Mr Summers added: “He is a contrite young man of previously impeccable character. He faces the dire consequences of a few minutes of totally uncharacteristic driving as from now on he is out of a job.
“There is no indication that any other vehicles were put at risk. He is hard-working and safety conscious.”
Harrison, an agricultural contractor, passed his driving test a month after he turned 17, before gaining the pass-plus certificate.
He was banned from driving for 15 months, told to complete 250 hours of unpaid work and pay £85 costs.