Theft of jewellery from stepfather

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A SCARBOROUGH man who stole £28,000 worth of jewellery from his stepfather has been sentenced to 16 months.

Esai Ramos-Sweeting, 20, appeared before York Crown Court charged with two counts of theft and one of fraud.

The court heard the theft was a result of resentment over Ramos Sweeting’s mother will.

The defendant and his two siblings were aggrieved over the will following the death of their mother from cancer.

They believed their stepfather was using their inheritance to take another woman on holiday.

Geraldine Kelly, prosecuting said that Ramos-Sweeting broke into his step father’s bedroom and took jewellery to the value of £28,000.

The then later weighing in some of the items at the Scarborough branch of Cash for Gold for £3,500.

Ramos-Sweeting, of Linghold Crescent in Eastfield, also obtained a further £500 after taking and selling his step father’s television and games console.

He appeared before the court for sentencing on two charges of theft and one of fraud in connection with the gold and electrical items.

He also appeared on a charge of common assault and for breaching a suspended custodial sentence.

Miss Kelly told the court that the suspended sentence was passed in April, last year, for two offences of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

She added that the offences relating to two separate events on the streets of Scarborough when Ramos-Sweeting head butted one man and sank his teeth into the head of another.

The common assault before the York court involved Ramos-Sweeting spitting blood into the eye of a female bar supervisor.

Miss Kelly said that the defendant had been involved in a scuffle outside a bar in St Nicholas Street on September 13, last year, when the woman approached and was left in tears by what happened to her.

Ben Campbell, mitigating, said his client had been assaulted by door staff outside the bar, the supervisor approached and asked him not to report the matter and he spat out the blood, being reckless as to whether it hit her or not.

He added that after his arrest for the thefts and thinking about matters, Ramos-Sweeting managed to get back most of the stolen jewellery.

Passing sentence, Recorder Neil Clark told Ramos-Sweeting that he had an unenviable previous criminal record and, in the case of the thefts, had committed “unpleasant” offences.

He was sentenced to a total of 16 months in a Young Offenders Institution.