Two year ban for drink driving trip

Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208a
Drop Folder News / ATEX News.18/10/10. Pic Kevin Allen.'Scarborough Magistrates Court.'104208a

Scarborough Magistrates Court heard how pedestrians narrowly escaped serious injury from a drunk driver in the heart of Whitby.

Michael Raisbeck, a 25-year-old from Auckland Way, admitted driving while over the limit as well as having no licence or insurance at the time of the incident.

Colette Dixon, prosecuting, said that police were called after a single vehicle collision on September 8 at 11.15am.

She added: “they were told that a car had been travelling at speed up Church Street. The people involved in the accident were taken into a nearby house.”

Mrs Dixon said that Raisbeck’s blue Peugeot 206 was found empty nearby – witnessed had seen the occupants get out and head towards the beach. She said: “All three were arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.”

She added that officers smelt “intoxicants” on their breath and they were breathalysed at the scene – Raisbeck was further arrested “for having driven whilst over the prescribed limit”.

Mrs Dixon said it was a sunny morning and the street was packed with pedestrians at the time and that the front wheel had “clipped” the legs of a mother and her child – but they were uninjured as a result.

When Raisbeck was interviewed by police he answered “no comment” to all questions.

Shaun Greenan, in mitigation, said his client had been out with friends after work the previous night and “foolishly” decided to move the vehicle because it was illegally parked.

He said: “He took full responsibility to drive. If there was any incident he apologises. He left it in the parking bay and was returning to town when he was arrested by police.

“He didn’t dispute that he’d had a drink the night before – it is a relatively small amount above the limit.”

When breathalysed Raisbeck registered a level of 46 microgrammes in 100ml of breath – compared with the limit of 35 microgrammes.

Raisbeck was disqualified from driving for 24 months and his licence was endorsed for driving without either a valid licence or third party insurance.

Magistrates also ordered that he be fined £300 as well as £100 in costs.

He was advised that he needed to reapply for his licence at the end of the disqualification and it should be in his hand before he could legally drive again.