Victim praised as vicious man jailed

Kevin Kirby
Kevin Kirby

A SCARBOROUGH man who terrorised his girlfriend has been caged after being deemed a significant risk to the public.

Kevin Kirby, of Highfield, admitted grievous bodily harm with intent after subjecting his 60-year-old partner to a sustained assault, resulting in her suffering a broken arm and a dislocated shoulder and having to have pins surgically inserted to repair the damage.

The 48-year-old was given a seven year prison sentence at York Crown Court yesterday following the incident at an address in Blands Cliff in October last year. He must serve at least three-and-a-half years and was also given an indeterminate public protection sentence – meaning he will not be released until a parole board is satisfied that he no longer represents a danger.

Rupert Dodswell, prosecuting, said Kirby, who has previous convictions including two sex offences, had been drinking heavily with the victim before attacking her.

The court heard the pair had been in a relationship with Kirby for around 12 months before the incident and there had been many arguments.

After drinking a bottle and a half of whisky he began demanding sex, slapping her when she refused and telling her that she only had two hours to live.

Kirby then began twisting her arms so violently her left arm fractured before dragging her into the bedroom and throwing her onto the bed with such force that she fell off the other side, dislocating her right shoulder.

The woman was left lying in agony for 15 minutes after Kirby fell asleep, being found on the floor by her daughter when she called at the house.

Glenn Parsons, mitigating, said that it was his submission that Kirby was not dangerous because he did not have previous convictions for violence.

He added that heavy drinking was behind the offence and that Kirby would be better helped by receiving help for this.

Mr Parsons said his client had been left feeling “haunted” by what he had done and from the dock, a tearful and rambling Kirby told the court the “wished he was dead” and that the events and allegations against him were “destroying my mind”.

Passing sentence, and imposing an indefinite restraining order Kirkby to keep him away from the victim in the future, Recorder David Hatton QC told him that he had terrorised, humiliated and degraded her.

He added that Kirby, who had committed the offence while on licence from his last jail term for sex offending in 2008, had not shown any remorse for what he had done.

As Kirby was led to the cells he called out: “What you have given me is wrong, you are completely wrong.”

Detective Constable Alex Parker, of the Protecting Vulnerable Persons Unit, said: “This case was a particularly disturbing due to a prolonged and vicious attack by Kirby on his victim. I would like to applaud the bravery and commitment of the victim in this case for standing up against somebody to who she obviously had emotional ties - a man who had subjected her domestic violence of the highest level.”